Monday, June 6, 2011

Almost time for an upgrade, and a test drive

Two recent FLOSS announcements has me excited - maiden release of Mageia and the Beta3 version of Mandriva 2011. Means I have something new (nothing geeky, I assure you) to write about. It's about time I did some justice to the fact that I earn my livelihood from a related industry. Read on.

Would have loved to see Mandriva announcing a final 2011 version by now. But, considering the fact that it has recently been into too much of a turmoil, this nearer to stable release is more than welcome. For the uninitiated, Mandriva is a Linux distribution specializing in the desktop OS segment. It has also made some foray into the  corporate market providing server class solutions to a few medium and large organizations.
Mandriva Logo
Sales pitch aside, Mandriva has always been my distro of choice whenever I wanted Linux on my personal computer, from the days I started using one of it's earlier avatar, Mandrake 7.0. During those college days, besides the learning motive, Mandriva gave me a better looking option against the rather dull Windoze XP (and the duller 98). And then, unlike other distros of those days, it let me play MP3s, watch videos and could 'see' all the FAT32 partitions without much of the geeky mount magic. It got me hooked and I have remained faithful ever since. The reasons have remained pretty much the same over the years with a few minor geeky additions. Look and feel is one big factor influencing my choice of distros and I have preferred it's bluish look to the rather dull brownish default look of Ubuntu. A default brown setup somehow does not strike any chords with me, even to attempt any customization. How I wish Mandriva had a large and strong user base as Ubuntu. It's an easy to use, effective and great looking distro and that is why I spare no opportunity to let people know about it (noticed the Mandriva logo on this blog?).

Mageia, who? For those of you who never heard of Mandriva, I would understand it'd not be wrong to assume that this is the first time you are hearing of Mageia. Mageia, is also a Linux distribution, recently forked out from Mandriva.  
Logo design by Olivier Faurax
The often tumultuous financial situation of Mandriva, led some of its employees and loyal community members to fork out Mageia as an independent community-centered distro. Besides having it's root in Mandriva, this community driven nature is what makes Mageia appealing to me. I wish it luck and hope it fares better than Mandriva.

I am all set to download both these distros and install them on the very first opportunity I get. I'd give myself a couple of weeks to clear out a few priorities and make some space in my bloated laptop, before taking the plunge.

Be it Mageia, Mandriva or Ubuntu, or for that matter even Android, giving us, the users the ability to influence decisions and directions is what enthralls me the most about FLOSS (free/libre/open-source software), and Linux in particular. FLOSS, in fact is about letting people make their choices.


4 comments:

  1. never tried mageia before.used mandriva.could not remember anything against it but the main distro in my laptop is ubuntu.will love to read about your experience with mageia.following your blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have used Fedora and Debian at sometime or the other, but Ubuntu remains my favourite. (Puppy Linux too has been a lifesaver once)
    Will try Mandriva(VirtualBox supporting, that it)

    PS: Jana na aasilu tur blog-r kotha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Soumalya: And I'd be following you..!! :) Thanks for reading. Ubuntu seems to be the favored distro for quite a lot of people know. I should try it once again, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sujoy: Aa ha, my friend. So, we meet in the Blogosphere!! You seem to be a quite a full-time, avid blogger. Not a lazy-ass, newbie like me!! More reading material for me.. \o/
    Thanks for visiting and keep writing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Please do comment if you feel like voicing your opinion or if you feel like we should know each other. It never hurts to befriend new people. Regards, Mriganka.